Due to the ongoing concerns in regards to COVID- 19, UBCycles will be closed until further notice.
UBCycles is a hub for all biking activities on UBC’s Okanagan campus. UBCycles offers short-term and long-term rentals, workshops for a variety of skill levels, and tools for bike repairs.
Location & hours
UBCycles is located in UNC 233 on the second floor of the University Centre, just past the Student Services counter and around the corner from International Programs & Services. If you would like to rent a bike or have bike maintenance completed, please book an appointment through our facebook page or by email.
Memberships & rates
- 1 to 6 days: $15
- 7 to 14 days: $20
- 15 to 30 days: $30
- prices dependent on maintenance type/tools/labor required. Inquire for pricing
Memberships (unavailable for the 2020/2021 Academic Year)
For a one time, annual fee (September to August) of $10, you can experience the benefits of a membership, including:
- Use of the UBCycles program, its resources, and its facilities. Note: use of the UBCycles room is only allowable under the presence of a UBCycles staff member or official program volunteer.
- Use of the UBCycles after-trip facilities.
- Opportunities to learn about the basic use and repair of bicycles.
- Opportunities to get involved in great events like group bike rides and cycling related training.
Memberships can either be purchased online using your recreation customer account
Indoor bike storage and lockers (unavailable for the 2020/2021 Academic Year)
Academic year (September 1 to April 30): $60
Annual (September 1 to August 15): $80
Getting involved with UBCycles is both easy and rewarding. If you would like to be involved, contact the UBCycles Coordinator.
Volunteers who are approachable and friendly can help our members learn about UBCycles, the Kelowna and UBC Okanagan bike trails, and about our program. We are always seeking volunteers who:
- Want to learn more about bicycles, green living, and who are excited about sharing these passions with others.
- Have experience working with and on bicycles, including bicycle mechanics, and repair people.
- Volunteers will be asked to commit three hours per week to the program to maintain their status as volunteers.
- Receive access to all “member” privileges, listed above, free of charge.
- Become a member of a friendly team who share a passion for cycling, cycle commuting, sustainability, and the environment.
- Receive access to the UBCycles room to provide assistance to program members and fulfill volunteer duties, as assigned by the UBCycles Coordinator.
One of the main tenants of UBCycles is sustainability. UBCycles and its coordinators take the following steps to ensure that the program is as green as possible:
- UBCycles uses reclaimed and refurbished bicycles purchased or donated from Kelowna or the UBC community. We are always looking for more bikes to add to our fleet.
- UBCycles provides students, staff, and faculty the opportunity to use bicycles for exploring the campus and the community, in lieu of using transportation such as cars and motorcycles.
- Lights in the UBCycle room are set on a motion sensor to minimize energy waste.
- UBCycles tries to be as paper-free as possible, using online tools and resources for administrative purposes.