UBCycles is a hub for all biking activities on UBC’s Okanagan campus. UBCycles offers short-term and long-term rentals, maintenance services, memberships, and workshops for a variety of skill levels.
MEMBERSHIPS AND BIKE LOCKERS
Basic Membership: $15 per semester
Provides access to UBCycles bike tools during open hours.
Outdoor Bike Lockers available through Parking
$20 per day
$40 per week
$60 per month
Hours & Location
UBCycles is located in Nechako 291 on International Mews three doors down from Orchard Convenience Store.
UBCycles is currently open for the following hours, or by appointment:
Monday – 10:30 am to 3:30 pm
Wednesday – 8 to 10 am; 11 am to 12pm; 12:30 to 2 pm; 4 to 6 pm
Thursday – 12:30 to 2 pm
Friday – 12:30 to 4 pm
If you would like to book an appointment or if you have questions, you can contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: UBCycles will be closed from December 9 until January 8. The UBCycles email inbox will be monitored on a less frequent basis during this time as well. In the case of an emergency, you can email email@example.com
One of the main tenants of UBCycles is sustainability. UBCycles and its coordinators take the following steps to ensure that the program is as green as possible:
- UBCycles uses reclaimed and refurbished bicycles purchased or donated from Kelowna or the UBC community. We are always looking for more bikes to add to our fleet. Book an appointment to donate a bike to our program!
- UBCycles provides students, staff, and faculty the opportunity to use bicycles for exploring the campus and the community, in lieu of using transportation such as cars and motorcycles.
- Lights in the UBCycle room are set on a motion sensor to minimize energy waste.
- UBCycles tries to be as paper-free as possible, using online tools and resources for administrative purposes.
UBCycles is supporting UBC Sustainability goals by accepting bike donations to reduce costs of acquiring new bicycles and parts and to provide future learning opportunities in bike maintenance workshops. Schedule an appointment below to donate your bike. Thank you for supporting UBC Sustainability initiatives!
Getting involved with UBCycles is both easy and rewarding. If you would like to be involved, email the UBCycles Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteers who are approachable and friendly can help our campus community learn about UBCycles, the Kelowna and UBC Okanagan bike trails, and about our program. We are always seeking volunteers who:
- Want to learn more about bicycles, green living, and who are excited about sharing these passions with others.
- Have experience working with and on bicycles, including bicycle mechanics, and repair people.
- Volunteers will be asked to commit three hours per week to the program to maintain their status as volunteers.
- Receive access to all “member” privileges, access to tools, indoor storage, free of charge.
- Become a member of a friendly team who share a passion for cycling, cycle commuting, sustainability, and the environment.
- Receive access to the UBCycles room to provide assistance to program members and fulfill volunteer duties, as assigned by the UBCycles Coordinator.
Maintenance and Repairs
Cost refers to quotes for the service provided and does not include the cost of any parts required for the service.
Replace Tube: $10
Brake Adjustment (both): $25
Disc Brake Adjustment (both): $30
Brake Bleed (each): $30
Hub Adjustment (both): $25
Hub Service (both): $45
Derailleur Adjustment (each): $25
Tubeless Setup (each): $25
Wheel True (each): $25
Cable Replacement (each): $10
Chain Install: $10
Bottom Bracket Install: $25
Headset Install: $25
Basic Tune Up: $50
Full adjustment of front and rear derailleurs (cable tensioning indexing and alignment), a full adjustment of front and rear brakes (pad alignment and cable tensioning), lubrication of all moving parts, safety check and a surface wipe down.
Enhanced Tune Up: $75
Basic Tune Up plus a touch wheel true and headset adjustment.
The drivetrain of your bike is one of its most important parts and making sure it is clean and properly lubricated is critical. This service includes removal and cleaning of cranks, chain rings, cassette, chain and derailleurs.