UBCycles is a hub for all biking activities on UBC’s Okanagan campus. UBCycles offers short-term and long-term rentals, maintenance services, memberships, and workshops for a variety of skill levels.
1 to 6 days: $20
7 to 14 days: $30
15-30 days: $40
MEMBERSHIPS & BIKE LOCKERS
Basic Membership: access to UBCycles bike tools during open hours. Cost: $10/semester
Outdoor Bike Lockers available through Parking
2021-2022 All Access Membership: access to indoor bike locker, storage locker, and tools. Cost: $60 semester, $100 academic year – expiry April 30, $140 annual year – expiry Aug 31
MAINTENANCE & REPAIRS
Flat tire: $5 (parts extra)
Brake adjustment: $15
Disc Brake adjustment $20
Brake Bleeding: $25
Hub adjustment: $20
Derailleur adjustment: $15
Tubeless setup: $20 (parts extra)
Wheel truing: $10-20/wheel
Install cables/housing: $10
Install chain: $10
Install bottom bracket:$25
Install headset: $25
UBCycles is supporting UBC Sustainability goals by accepting bike donations to reduce costs of acquiring new bicycles and parts and to provide future learning opportunities in bike maintenance workshops. Schedule an appointment below to donate your bike. Thank you for supporting UBC Sustainability initiatives!
Basic Tune Up: Full adjustment of front and rear derailleurs (cable tensioning indexing and alignment), a full adjustment of front and rear brakes (pad alignment and cable tensioning), lubrication of all moving parts, safety check and a surface wipe down. Cost: $40
Standard Tune Up: Includes basic tune up plus a touch wheel true, and a headset adjustment. Cost: $60
The drivetrain of your bike is one of its most important parts, and making sure it’s clean and properly lubricated is critical. Let us help you keep your bike running smoother for longer. Includes removal and cleaning of: cranks, chain rings, cassette, chain, and derailleurs
Hours & Location
At this time, we are available by appointment only. Appointments for rentals, maintenance and other services can be booked by emailing us at email@example.com.
UBCycles is located in UNC 233 on the second floor of the University Centre, just past the Student Services counter and around the corner from the Global Engagement Office. This video will direct you to our location!
One of the main tenants of UBCycles is sustainability. UBCycles and its coordinators take the following steps to ensure that the program is as green as possible:
- UBCycles uses reclaimed and refurbished bicycles purchased or donated from Kelowna or the UBC community. We are always looking for more bikes to add to our fleet. Book an appointment to donate a bike to our program!
- UBCycles provides students, staff, and faculty the opportunity to use bicycles for exploring the campus and the community, in lieu of using transportation such as cars and motorcycles.
- Lights in the UBCycle room are set on a motion sensor to minimize energy waste.
- UBCycles tries to be as paper-free as possible, using online tools and resources for administrative purposes.
Getting involved with UBCycles is both easy and rewarding. If you would like to be involved, email the UBCycles Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteers who are approachable and friendly can help our campus community learn about UBCycles, the Kelowna and UBC Okanagan bike trails, and about our program. We are always seeking volunteers who:
- Want to learn more about bicycles, green living, and who are excited about sharing these passions with others.
- Have experience working with and on bicycles, including bicycle mechanics, and repair people.
- Volunteers will be asked to commit three hours per week to the program to maintain their status as volunteers.
- Receive access to all “member” privileges, access to tools, indoor storage, free of charge.
- Become a member of a friendly team who share a passion for cycling, cycle commuting, sustainability, and the environment.
- Receive access to the UBCycles room to provide assistance to program members and fulfill volunteer duties, as assigned by the UBCycles Coordinator.