Hangar Fitness & Wellness Centre
Made possible by a $3.5 million gift from the founding family of Kelowna Flightcraft, Barry Lapointe and Mary Jo Schnepf and their employees, The Hangar—the first and only built-to-purpose fitness centre on campus—was opened the summer of 2013.
The upper-level main fitness centre houses 4,000 square feet of innovative cardio equipment, an array of weight machines, open space, and plenty of free weight options.
The lower level of the Hangar houses three fitness studios.
Studio 1: Home to most group fitness classes and rented by student dance and combative clubs.
Studio 2: Home to free weights, benches, and a cable machine within our functional training space.
Studio 3: Home to spin classes and stocked with 20 Keiser spin bikes.
Cardio Machine area
The lower level of the Hangar is now home to various pieces of cardio equipment, including ellipticals, treadmills, bikes, and more!
The Hangar is 4000 square feet of innovative cardio equipment, an array of weight machines, open space, and plenty of free weight options.
To book a studio space, you must be a registered student club, sponsored by a faculty, or an organized community group that can show proof of liability insurance.
All UBC Recreation programs and services take priority of space, and booking requests will be looked at once department programming is complete.
Student clubs: $25 per hour
Other non-profit organizations: $40 per hour
Facility rULES & etiquette
Be courteous of other users at all times to make the facility experience pleasant for you and for fellow users. Failure to adhere to facility etiquette may result in membership suspension or termination.
- Clean, indoor, and closed-toe shoes must be worn at all times.
- An athletic top and bottom must be worn at all times. Users wearing inappropriate clothing may be asked to change.
- All personal belongings need to be left in lockers or in the designated cubby area.
- This facility is a scent free facility. Please refrain from using colognes and perfumes.
- Food and gum are not permitted. Water in capped, non-breakable bottles only.
- Use of the equipment should be fitting to the designated purpose of the equipment.
- It is your responsibility to return all equipment to the designated area after use.
- Clean and sanitize equipment after use with the supplies provided.
- Ask a staff member if you need assistance using a piece of equipment.
- Report any equipment malfunction to the staff immediately to ensure the safety of all users.
- Be respectful when using personal electronic devices for photographic and video purposes in the facility, obtain consent from anyone who may appear in the video. No tri-pods.
- The use of personal electronic devices for photographic and video purposes is strictly prohibited in change rooms.
- Chalk is not permitted in the Hangar.
- Take turns on equipment and allow others to “work in”.
- Set all weights down gently & controlled: do not drop the weights.
- Respect other users and refrain from yelling, excessive grunting, or using profanity.
- Users under the age of 18, who are not a UBCO student, require adult supervision.
- No sharing scan cards or memberships – memberships will be suspended.
FOR FIRST AID AND SECURITY EMERGENCIES: 250-807-8111
fitness centre tours
- The Hangar facility (fully equipped gym)
- Indoor running track
- Water fountain
- Stairs to access the lower Hangar and Customer Service Desk
- Customer Service Desk
- Gender-specific and universal change rooms, including bathrooms and showers
- Water fountains
- Fitness studios including a spin room, jungle gym apparatus, cardio and strength equipment. Studios are accessible for personal use anytime there isn’t a group fitness class occurring.