Hangar Fitness & Wellness Centre
Made possible by a $3.5 million gift from the founding family of Kelowna Flightcraft, Barry Lapointe and Mary Jo Schnepf and their employees, The Hangar—the first and only built-to-purpose fitness centre on campus—was opened the summer of 2013.
The upper-level main fitness centre houses 4,000 square feet of innovative cardio equipment, an array of weight machines, open space, and plenty of free weight options.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) & UBCO Recreation’s Response
Due to ongoing concerns surrounding Coronavirus (COVID-19), UBC Okanagan Athletics & Recreation is taking precautionary measures, read more.
Including the temporary closure of:
- UBC Okanagan Gymnasium (including the walking track)
- Hangar Fitness Centre
The closure will be in effect until further notice.
The lower level of the Hangar houses three fitness studios.
Studio 1: Home to most group fitness classes and rented by student dance and combative clubs.
Studio 2: Home to the jungle gym within our functional training space.
Studio 3: Home to spin classes and stocked with 20 Keiser spin bikes.
Stretch and strength area
The Hangar’s lower lobby space is an open activity space where members are welcome to stretch or do personal exercises.
The Hangar is 4000 square feet of innovative cardio equipment, an array of weight machines, open space, and plenty of free weight options.
To book a studio space, you must be a registered student club, sponsored by a faculty, or an organized community group that can show proof of liability insurance.
All UBC Recreation programs and services take priority of space, and booking requests will be looked at once department programming is complete.
Student clubs: $20 per hour
Other groups: $35 per hour
- Clean, indoor, and closed-toe shoes only.
- It is your responsibility to return all equipment to the designated area after use.
- Use of the equipment should be fitting to the designed purpose of the equipment.
- Clean equipment after use.
- All personal belongings should be left in lockers or in the designated cubby area provided.
- The Hangar is a scent-free facility.
- Refrain from using colognes and perfumes.
- Chalk is not permitted in the Hangar.
- Take turns on equipment and allow others to “work in”.
- Set free weights down gently: do not drop the weights.
- Respect other users and refrain from yelling or using profanity.
- Users wearing inappropriate clothing may be asked to change. See the Hangar Dress Code Policy.
- Turn cell phones to vibrate and keep use to a minimum.
- Users under the age of 17 must be accompanied by a UBC personal trainer.
- Feel free to ask one of our staff members if you need a spot or assistance using a piece of equipment.
- Be courteous of other members at all times to make the Fitness Centre experience pleasant for you and for fellow users.
- Failure to adhere to Hangar etiquette may result in membership suspension or termination.