UBCO Recreation is unable to partner with the local ski hills this year due to COVID-19 restrictions, however, students are still able to purchase day pass tickets with the local mountains. Check-out these websites for day passes for Mountain Biking Parks, Hiking, Trail Running, and Sightseeing!
UBCO’s Varsity Outdoors Club (VOCO) is the place to go for hiking gear! Rentals are FREE this year. Choose from a variety of backpacks, sleeping pads, tents, and more!
Email email@example.com to schedule an appointment to pick up your gear on campus!
Websites to help you plan your next adventure!
More fun stuff!
For information on backpacking basics, choosing hiking shoes, lightweight packing tips, packing lists, and everything else you need to know to be an efficient hiker.
Bike Rentals and Repairs:
UBCycles Book an appointment with UBCycles, located on campus, to accommodate all of your biking needs at an affordable rate!
Mountain Bike Parks:
Silverstar Mountain Resort With 100+ Km’s of trails for you to ride, SilverStar is Canada’s second largest bike park!
Big White Ski Resort Bike Big White has something for every level of rider!
Local Mountain Biking Areas:
UBCycles For information about cycling paths, visit the UBCycles webpage.
More fun stuff!
JOIN UBCYCLES STRAVA CLUB! Make it social and become a part of UBCO’s cycling community!
mountain biking tips The place to go to answer all of your bike-related questions.
Bike the KVR at Myra Canyon! Explore the Kettle Valley Rail Trail and the trestles. It’s a must-see in the Okanagan!
Indoor Climbing Options:
Gneiss The Gneiss Climbing Gym in Kelowna offers bouldering and climbing programs to improve technique
Outdoor Climbing Options:
Climb the Okanagan Research local climbing crags to plan your next climbing excursion! Popular areas include Skaha Bluffs, Lonely Boy & Lonely Girl, and The Boulderfields.
Participate at your own risk and within your comfort level. Always go with experienced and knowledgeable individuals. Take a belay course at Beyond the Crux before climbing outdoors! Register for fall courses!
Email UBCO’s Varsity Outdoors Club (VOCO) at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment for FREE gear rentals, which can be picked up on campus. VOCO has a wide selection of climbing shoes, harnesses, ropes, belay devices, bouldering pads, and more!
MEC Kelowna Visit MEC to purchase gear
More fun stuff!
Climbing tips & tricks Learn about climbing technique, gear, terminology, clothing, and more!
Campus Trails Nature runs right in our backyard!
Silverstar Explore SilverStar’s 16km of forest and mountain trails!
rose valley regional park Choose from easy, moderate, or hard trails.
Knox Mountain Park Explore Kelowna’s most popular hiking destination and check out some of the prettiest views in the valley!
Races & Events:
Challenge yourself and some friends or family to a race! Not only will this motivate your training, it will leave you feeling accomplished and more connected to those around you! Registration fees usually support a good cause too!
Hungry Hungry Half The Hungry Hungry Half Marathon hosted in Kelowna on October 2nd offers 5km, 10km, and half marathon distances!
Mt Frosty The Mt Frosty race is hosted in Manning Provincial Park on September 19th and has 13km, 27km, and 50km trail races!
Dirty Dash is happening on October 15th! Stay tuned for more information and registration details.
More fun stuff!
UBCO Strava Club Join our Strava club to track your activities and cheer on other members as they complete their runs. Check out new running routes and participate in monthly challenges!
Running Tips Learn more about proper technique, trail running for beginners, trail running gear, choosing running shoes, and tips for running trail races.
Learn to run program Do you want to get into running but don’t know where to start? This beginner’s running program is your key to success! It’s a 4-week long program that will gradually transition you from walking to running comfortably for 30 minutes!
Events, Programs & challenges!
Paddle Boarding Lessons
Join UBCO Recreation and Kelowna Paddle Centre for 3 paddle boarding lessons on Sundays at 1-2:30pm.
Cost = $45 for students & $65 for staff/faculty for 3 lessons!
The next available session is July 11 – 25.
Group Golf Lessons at Okanagan Golf Club
Sessions include four, 1-hour lessons.
- August 9, August 16, August 23 & August 30
- Sept 6, Sept 13, Sept 20 & Sept 27
Start time: 6:00pm-7:00pm or 7:15pm-8:15pm
Student Lesson Package: $79.00
Adult/Staff Lesson Package: $99.00
Intro to Rock Climbing
ubco active clubs
Varsity Outdoors Club (VOCO)
- The Varsity Outdoor Club Okanagan (VOCO) is a student outdoor club of the Alpine Club of Canada. The club provides a focal point for students interested in outdoor recreation, provides opportunities in outdoor education, encourages respect for the environment, and provides social networking amongst members. The club runs a variety of events such as introductory events for Climbing and Backcountry Skiing, safety courses like Avalanche Safety Training and Wilderness First Aid, and also provides members access to resources including club gear.
Mountain Riders Club
- UBCO Mountain riders is an inclusive club for students who share a passion for the outdoors. We create a community for students who want to experience the best parts of British Columbia. Our club mainly focuses on Skiing, Snowboarding, Surfing, Skateboarding, and Mountain Biking.
- UBCycles is a hub for all biking activities on UBC’s Okanagan campus. UBCycles offers short-term and long-term rentals, workshops for a variety of skill levels, and tools for bike repairs.
- “Sisu” is a Finnish term for bravery, determination and resilience. Sisu is an outdoor club that aims to make outdoor sport and adventure accessible to everyone, specifically girls at UBCO. Their mission is to build a community that demonstrates “Sisu” in all aspects of life!